September 17, 2014 § Leave a comment
How can I keep my personal life personal and still use social media as a marketing tool you may ask? I hope this post can answer a few questions you may have about social media.
If you have a Facebook or Twitter account, you have those friends…you know, the ones that post 10+ times a day about, well, nothing really. And what about the friend that is constantly bombarding everyone with articles and blogs and random pictures with weird captions? Those are the people you hide from your news feed, and more times than not, end up “unfriending” or “unfollowing.”
Let’s face it, you have no desire to be one of those people. So you post once in a while, maybe update your status here and there, send out a tweet once in a while, and post a picture or two of your kids or pets, but you’re mostly on Social Media sites to keep up with what everyone else is doing and basically stay in the background.
So how can you use Social Media as a marketing tool for your business or the company you work for? Here are a few tips:
- Just like or follow the company. It won’t spam anything out to your friends, and the majority of them won’t even know you’ve done it, but the amount of likes and followers helps to increase the online presence of the company.
- If a picture is posted of you on Facebook at a company event, think about tagging yourself in it! Your friends will see the picture, and maybe give the company Facebook page a quick look. Most of them will probably be fun events or charity events. I mean, come on, we’ve all had the occasional picture posted by a friend that we’re tagged in that should have never been taken in the first place, and then we’re frantically trying to untag ourselves! Wouldn’t you rather have pictures on your page that you’ve chosen to tag yourself in?
- If your company/business posts an article or something that you find helpful and think your friends would too, repost/retweet it! You don’t need repost or retweet everything, that’s not necessary (unless you want to), but I’m sure there are things you wouldn’t mind reposting or retweeting once in a while…isn’t it better than posting or tweeting about what you had for lunch?
- What if I repost/retweet something and one of my business connections (who I do not want to add as a personal friend on Facebook/Twitter) sees that I’ve “liked” or reposted/retweeted something? I DO NOT want them on my personal page seeing pictures of my family and friends or who I’m friends with personally. Change your privacy settings! Only YOU can control what people see. If you are not my friend and you go to my personal Facebook page, you will see only the pictures/posts I have allowed, and you will not see all of my friends. So I have no worries that a business acquaintance is going to have access to my personal information/pictures. If you don’t know how to change your privacy settings…I’m sure you know someone who can help you. Just find any teenager/college student in the world 🙂
- If you take a picture at a company/business event, but would rather not put it on your own page, send it to the person in charge of your company’s Social Media! They would be glad to post it on the company’s page and no one will ever know it came from you.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, suggestions or comments, don’t hesitate to contact me!